Friday, April 21, 2023, 8:30 am – 11:30 am
3 Clinical Hours
Course Fee: Dentists: $73, Other: $32
AGD Codes: 750
Speaker:Dr. Harvey Levy
Course Title: Overcoming Barriers to Dental Care for All Anxious and Special-needs Patients
Course Description: This course will provide some basic knowledge and tools to treat difficult or unmanageable patients. Attendees will hear examples of complicated cases involving medically compromised or mentally challenged patients, from the apprehensive to the combative, from infancy to old age. This session will use live demos to address how to open and keep open the mouths of uncooperative patients including props, gentle restraints, drugs, and laughing gas, and hovercraft air glide dental or chairs. A separate afternoon session will teach more advanced techniques and tools.
- Understand the options available for people with dental anxiety, fears and phobias
- Appreciate that there is a solution to every obstacle in treating fearful, anxious, and special-needs patients.
- Become familiar with clinical techniques for performing standard procedures on difficult, compromised, or otherwise unmanageable patients of all ages and medical or mental conditions in various settings.
- Explore equipment and tools including gentle wraps, props, drugs, gas, portable imaging systems, hovercraft operatory chairs, and more.
- Discover little-known techniques for opening the mouths of any patient, and keeping them open.
Speaker Bio: Dr. Harvey Levy practices general and hospital dentistry in Maryland, emphasizing comprehensive dental care for individuals with anxiety or special needs. He graduated from Tufts Dental in 1974, GPR at Eastman Dental, Rochester in 1976, taught at U Penn GPR, and is on Dean’s faculty at U MD Dental School plus four hospitals. Dr. Levy has earned Mastership and multiple Lifelong Learning Service Recognitions by the Academy of General Dentistry, multiple fellowships and Diplomate certificates. He is the recipient of the ADA Access to Care Award, the AGD Humanitarian Award, MD Governor's Doctor of the Year Award, Special Care Dentistry’s Saul Kamen and Harold Berk Awards, Tufts University Distinguished Alumni Award, Maryland State Dental Association Humanitarian Award, and ran the 2002 Olympic Torch in honor of Maryland patients with special-needs. He is also a martial arts master and a three-time inductee into the US Martial Arts Hall of Fame.