Saturday, April 22, 2023, 8:45 am - 10:45 am
3 Clinical Hours
Course Fee: D - $60 Other - $23
AGD Codes: 160
Speaker: Dr. Kathleen Carson
Course Title: Airway Centric Dentistry: The Breathing Machine
Course Description: In our practices, we see problems with the structure or function of airways all the time. Things like cosmetic failures, non-resolving non-infection based periodontal issues, orthodontic failures, TMJ issues; and patients with anxiety, ADHD or high gag reflex. By the time patients present with functional or aesthetic airway disorders, it’s likely they have been living with anatomic and habitual causes of disordered breathing for years—even decades. In this case-based, content rich presentation, Kathleen Carson, DDS reveals the significant connections between craniofacial development and lifelong airway/systemic health and development. Learn simple steps to add to your exams which identify possible airways structural or functional concerns. Develop a plan for determining your practice’s optimal mix of treatments. Special emphasis will be given to the treatments and interventions dental professionals can offer patients who present with airway challenges in every stage of life.
- Recognize the differences between normal and abnormal orofacial structures
- Understand the benefits of early intervention in pediatric patients
- Learn methods for improving structural and functional challenges to developing better airways, airflow, proper breathing techniques, and oxygen utilization
- Explore modalities - such as myofunctional therapy, oral appliance therapy, and jaw development orthodontics - that improve case success and profitability
- Discover how to provide optimal patient care through building a collaborative team of healthcare professionals
- Learn how to enroll your team and incorporate airway centric dentistry into your practice
- Recognize signs of airway disorders and gain skills for comfortably engaging patients regarding their signs and symptoms.
- Explore tips and tools for helping patients understand their responsibility in achieving optimal outcome
- Identify how to enhance patient exams leading to additional treatment possibilities, increased revenue and better outcomes
Speaker Bio: Kathleen Carson, DDS, has been providing whole body health dentistry to patients in Los Angeles and surrounding areas for two decades. About 15 years ago, she became intently focused on airway health and its effects on the entire body. Dr. Carson has extensive knowledge of the effects unhealthy breathing can have on our overall health and its intimate connection with the development of the orofacial structure. In the past decade, Dr. Carson has studied the body’s use of CBD and other phytocannabinoids as contributors to overall health and well-being. There has been high demand to share this knowledge with both her patients and other professionals.
As medical professionals, we should be able to recognize certain often overlooked health struggles that our patients present with. As dentists, we are in a unique position to provide treatments that can help our patients live healthier beyond just fixing their teeth. You want only the best for your patients, and Dr. Carson is a catalyst in helping you achieve that vision.
Dr. Carson graduated cum Laude from the UCLA School of Dentistry and served a general practice residency with the Veterans Administration in Sepulveda. Dr. Carson earned her fellowship in neuromuscular/physiological dentistry as well as in Buteyko
Breathing. She serves on the board of the AAPMD (American Academy of Physiologic Medicine and Dentistry), is a clinical advisor for Vivos Therapeutics, and is on faculty with TAO method (TMJ, Airway, Orthodontics) through Gelb Practice Solutions.