Be Aware of Wear: A Systematic Approach to Diagnosing, Treatment Planning and Restoring the Worn Dentition
Saturday, May 9
Time: 8:30 - 11:30 am
Course Code: S 510
Quick Summary: A highly stressed society exhibits a high propensity for clenching, grinding, and its sequelae. Where do you begin with a patient whose dentition exhibits such extensive attrition?
Fee: Doctors $58 All Others $17
Course Description: In today’s society, tooth wear is more prevalent than ever and it is therefore incumbent upon the entire dental team to be well versed in recognizing the clinical signs of wear while understanding the importance of prevention, when possible, and the restorative options, when necessary. This lecture will illustrate the different types of tooth wear with clinical examples and demonstrate a systematic approach to diagnosis and treatment.
- Recognize the clinical signs of intrinsic and extrinsic erosion.
- Office protocols to help patients prevent and/or treat acid erosion.
- Recognize the clinical signs of horizontal and vertical wear patterns.
- Designing an occlusal scheme that fits the grinding patterns of the patient.
- Bite opening vs. crown lengthening vs. orthodontic intrusion to gain space for restorations.
- The importance of an inter-disciplinary team in treating wear cases.
- A systematic approach in the treatment of simple to complex wear cases.
Course most appropriate for: Dentists, Hygienists, and Laboratory Technicians
C.E. Hours: 3 clinical hours
Academy of General Dentistry Code: 250, 610, 780