The Dental Hygienist's Role in Risk-Based Periodontal Therapy
Saturday, May 11
Time: 8:30 - 11:30 am
Course Code: S 530
Quick Summary: Hygienists seek successful outcomes for their patients with periodontal disease. Learn more about the factors influencing your treatment outcomes. You can never learn enough on this constantly evolving subject.
Fee: Dentists $50 All Others $15
Course Description: Working with periodontal patients to achieve optimal outcomes can be one of our biggest challenges. Advances in research indicate that the successful prevention and treatment of periodontal disease hinges on assessing and managing the factors that increase the patient's risk for periodontal disease and its progression. This course will review the factors that increase the risk for periodontal disease and help you create talking points for greater treatment acceptance.
- Understand the role of staging and grading in assessing periodontal therapy.
- Discover the power of skilled inquiry in medical interviewing.
- Utilize the medical history to personalize care.
- List the key risk factors for the risk, severity, and progression of periodontitis and peri-implant diseases.
- Discuss the current state of the oral/systemic link.
- Evaluate the research periodontal debridement/SRP/periodontal maintenance.
- Discuss the role of evidence-based clinical standards in patient care.
- Develop key messages and strategies for motivating patients.
- Recommend appropriate self-care products.
Course most appropriate for: Dentists, Hygienists, and Clinical Assistants
C.E. Hours: 3 clinical hours
Academy of General Dentistry Code: 495